Craziness in Fifth Home About Me My Classroom Organization Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Sunday, June 19, 2016

DIY Library Letters


So, I don't know about you, but I am not the craftiest person that has ever walked this planet. I try very hard, but most of the time I DIY, I fail. Except for today, I would call it a success. So trust me when I say this project was easy, it was EASY PEASY! 

I've been wanting to spice up my classroom library, so I thought, why not some cute letters. I did not want to spend a ton of money, so I thought I would paint my own. My body is still on Ireland time, so I patiently waited since 6:30AM for Target to open to go get the letters I needed.

The materials for this project were minimal and cheap. I bought the letters at Target, and the paint and brushes were colors I already had, all previously bought from Michael's (Craft Smart brand).

Paint Colors
Lighter blue: Pool Blue
Darker blue: Turquoise
Lighter green: Ocean Breeze
Darker green: Spearmint


My original plan was to wrap the letters in really cute sparkly washi tape, there could be no failing with that, it would be fool proof. As I was almost finished with the third letter, I noticed that none of the tape was sticking. WHOMP.


Change of plans, I was going to dust off my paint brushes and give painting the letters a try. I wanted them to be somewhat fancy, so I was going to give stripes a try. 

Step #1: I painted the lighter color all over the letters, multiple coats until I couldn't see the wood anymore. This kind of painting I am a fan of because you cannot mess it up, simply paint all over. I let those dry completely. 


Step #2: After the first coat was dry, I put down painters tape in diagonal stripes. I did not measure the spaces, I completely eye-balled them. I then painted the darker color over the open area. I once again did multiple coats to insure there would be a distinct difference in the colors. I let them sit and dry completely.


Step #3: I checked to make sure the paint was completely dry, then I pulled the painters tape off carefully. Then wa-la! My DIY letters were complete!


Believe me when I say, if I can do this, you can too! I hope this helps if you are looking to add a little DIY to your classroom this summer!

Happy painting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment